Oral Pathology NYC


What is Oral Pathology?

Pathology, in general, is the study of disease.  An oral pathologist is an expert of diseases and pain disorders affecting the oral and facial region. Ruben Cohen, DDS works closely with oral pathologists to diagnose any abnormal tissue or bone in the oral and facial area, and then treats the disease or condition by removing it in its entirety to prevent recurrence.  Lastly, any large defect is reconstructed by Dr. Ruben Cohen to rebuild the normal anatomy.

Sometime, the oral pathology cases involve oral cancer. There are many symptoms of mouth cancer that you should be aware of that can only be detected by an oral surgeon. Occasionally, lumps or sores can form inside the oral cavity which may be a sign of a pathologic process, or cancerous growth.  The most serious of these is oral cancer, which can be detected by , Ruben Cohen, DDS.

What are some symptoms of oral cancer or other abnormalities?

Common symptoms of oral cancer and other abnormalities may include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • A lump or thickening on the gum lining
  • Red or white patches in the oral cavity
  • Difficulty swallowing or chewing
  • Sores that bleed easily or heal slowly
  • Reddish or whitish patches in the mouth
  •  A sore that fails to heal and bleeds easily
  • A lump or thickening on the skin lining the inside of the mouth


All abnormal lesions or findings which are present for more than two weeks should be evaluated by the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, and biopsied if indicated and necessary.  A biopsy involves removing a small piece of a lesion for laboratory evaluation & diagnosis.  Other lesions or cysts may also be associated with wisdom teeth, and may not be noticed until routine x-rays are taken.


As oral pathology is a broad science that deals with diseases of the mouth in general, the course of treatment is established on a patient-specific basis. If you suspect that you may have signs or symptoms of mouth cancer, or if you have any other unusual lesions, please contact the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon.